pt Flag

Tavira Weather in December, Portugal

TAVIRA AVERAGES FOR DECEMBER

Slide and Tap Other Months

Tavira Averages December

  • What is Average Temperature?
    The average high temperature and the average low temperature for that month, on a daily basis, divided by 2 equals the average temperature for that month

    Temperature

    13°C
    55°F
  • What is Average High Low Temperature?
    The sum of high temperatures/low temperatures divided by the number of days in that month, recorded daily

    High Temperature

    17°C
    63°F
  • What is Average High Low Temperature?
    The sum of high temperatures/low temperatures divided by the number of days in that month, recorded daily

    Low Temperature

    9°C
    48°F
  • What is Average Sea Temperature?
    Average daily sea temperatures and divided by the number of days in the month. Sea Temperatures are taken from buoys, ships and even satellites can calculate sea temperature based on energy that is radiated from the sea's surface

    Sea Temperature

    18°C
    64°F
  • What are Average Daily Sunshine Hours?
    Total sunshine hours for the month, divided by the number of days in the month. Sunshine hours are taken with a sunshine recorder, either a Campbell-Stokes recorder or an Eppley Pyreheliometer

    Sunshine Hours

    5 hours
  • What is Average Rainfall?
    The amount of mm in rain for that month divided by the number of days, and the number of days that it rains during that month on average, over a given period of years

    Rainfall Days

    14 days
  • What is Average Rainfall?
    The amount of mm in rain for that month divided by the number of days, and the number of days that it rains during that month on average, over a given period of years

    Rainfall

    94 mm

Tavira Daily Averages December

December 2024 Daily Averages

Sun
1 Avg 12º 54º
Mon
2 Avg 12º 54º
Tue
3 Avg 12º 54º
Wed
4 Avg 12º 54º
Thu
5 Avg 13º 55º
Fri
6 Avg 13º 55º
Sat
7 Avg 13º 55º
8 Avg 13º 55º
9 Avg 14º 57º
10 Avg 14º 57º
11 Avg 13º 55º
12 Avg 12º 54º
13 Avg 13º 55º
14 Avg 14º 57º
15 Avg 14º 57º
16 Avg 14º 57º
17 Avg 13º 55º
18 Avg 13º 55º
19 Avg 13º 55º
20 Avg 13º 55º
21 Avg 12º 54º
22 Avg 13º 55º
23 Avg 12º 54º
24 Avg 14º 57º
25 Avg 13º 55º
26 Avg 12º 54º
27 Avg 13º 55º
28 Avg 13º 55º
29 Avg 13º 55º
30 Avg 12º 54º
31 Avg 12º 54º
Forecast
Avg Historical Daily Average

December Weather Averages

Sorted by popularity:

Latest Tavira Holiday Reviews

  • my many visits to Tavira

    Mainly very nice - even in February

    colin Turner

Have you been to Tavira? Add your review

What's the weather like in Tavira in December?

Temperature

If you need a break from the harsh UK winters, get away in December to Tavira, part of the Algarve province. Even though it's the beginning of winter, the town sees an average daily temperature of 13°C (around 55°F), similar to nearby Acoteias. It gets pretty chilly at night and in the early morning hours, dropping to a low of 9°C (about 48°F). During the day, the temperatures warm up quickly, topping off at an average high of 17°C (around 63°F). Those temperatures are more like spring temperatures in other parts of Europe.

Generally, this area sees consistent temperatures, but has had some extreme weather. The highest recorded temperature peaked at a steamy 22°C (around 72°F). The lowest temperature ever seen here was a very cold 2°C (about 35°F). You can expect more normal temperatures during your stay, but check the local forecast just to be sure.

Sunshine Hours

The sun shines about 6 hours a day here this month, so you'll have ample time to get out and see the sights of the city. Expect mostly sunny days, with a 67 percent chance of sun each day and a 33 percent chance of clouds. When packing for your stay, bring along warmer clothes like long-sleeved shirts and trousers. You'll also want a jacket or heavy sweater, especially for the night-time hours.

Rain

This is wettest month of the year, with 94 mm of rain falling over the course of the month. The rain falls on an average of 14 days out of the month, still giving you a good chance of having more sunny days than rainy ones during your stay. You probably won't be doing much swimming with the ocean temperatures dropping down to 18°C (about 64°F). But, you should definitely take advantage of a sunny day to stroll the beach and soak in the sun.

Hotels in Tavira in December

Tavira House Hotel

The Tavira House Hotel is an elegant and chic boutique hotel located just steps from the centre of town. Housed in a 160-year-old mansion, the hotel has amazing architectural details and an outdoor terrace perfect for sipping on cocktails. All of the rooms have different décor, including some with clawfoot tubs. You'll also get spacious wardrobes, dressing tables, MP3 player sound systems, free Wi-Fi, televisions, private bathrooms, and walk-in showers.

Tavira Inn Casa do Rio

Providing guests with charming accommodations, the Tavira Inn Casa do Rio bed and breakfast has an intimate atmosphere for a quiet holiday. Enjoy views of the River Gilao, an easy walk to town with restaurants and bars, and lots of artwork throughout the building. All the rooms have air conditioning, wireless internet, minifridge, and double-glass windows for extra quiet. You'll love the antique furniture and unique décor in each room as well.

The Golden Club Hotel Resort

The Golden Club Hotel Resort in Algarve is the ideal spot for families looking to holiday in Tavira in December. The hotel has two types of rooms with balconies or terraces that provide sweeping views of the city or the Ria Formosa. Each room also has air conditioning, television, and a kitchenette or full kitchen. The on-site restaurant is very accommodating for kids with a buffet and separate children's menu. Or, you can grab a quick snack at one of the pool bars.

Bars and Restaurants

Scoop It

When you want a sweet treat, check out Scoop It, an ice cream parlour not far from the Faro train station. From the banana splits to the sundaes to the tons of flavours of ice cream and gelato, you're sure to find just the right item to satisfy that sweet tooth craving. Definitely try the crepes and waffles too. Along with the desserts, the parlour also has coffee, hot and cold drinks, salads, soups, and sandwiches.

Cabanas Brasserie

Found in the nearby town of Cabanas, Cabanas Brasserie offers a little something different from the typical Portuguese cuisine served all over the area. Here, you'll be treated to French and international cuisine like tortellini with Roquefort sauce and lamb casserole. The chalkboard outside the cosy and intimate restaurant advertises that day's specials, giving you something new to try each day.

Pizzaria Mamma Mia

Pizzaria Mamma Mia is the place to go for traditional Italian meals like oven-fired pizzas and pasta dishes. Specialty pizzas include the Milano with tomato sauce, mozzarella, and ham and the Hawaiian with mozzarella, ham, and pineapple. Other menu items include garlic bread with a variety of toppings, fresh salads, and kebabs. You can also get red or white wine, sangria, beer, and soda to complement your meal. 

Things to Do in Tavira in December

Christmas

Christmas Eve and Christmas Day are celebrated in Tavira and throughout the rest of Portugal. In the weeks leading up to Christmas, the town features festive decorations and lots of holiday cheer. Locals make traditional meals on Christmas Eve and many local restaurants also serve special Christmas meals. The Portuguese people have a tradition of carolling through town between Christmas and New Years that you can enjoy as well.

Ermida de Sao Sebastiao

Head indoors in December to avoid the rain and check out the spectacular interiors of the Ermida de Sao Sebastiao. This Baroque era church has an unassuming exterior, but once you walk in, you'll be blown away by the magnificent interior. From the ornate painted ceilings to the exquisitely-decorated walls, the church is a must-see for anyone interested in Baroque architecture or religious sites. Admission is free, but the church does ask for a donation to cover upkeep and maintenance.

Ponte Antiga Sobre o Rio Gilao

Located on the River Gilao, the Ponte Antiga Sobre o Rio Gilao is an old Roman bridge that is still used by visitors and locals alike. Despite its age, the bridge is still a beautiful architectural piece with white stucco, stone, and an intricate green railing. From the bridge, you can get great views of the river and the town and it makes a great backdrop for some awesome holiday pictures. At Christmastime, the town even decorates it for the season