it Flag

Palermo Weather in January, Italy

Palermo Averages January


  • What is Average Temperature?
    The average high temperature and the average low temperature for that month, on a daily basis, divided by 2 equals the average temperature for that month


  • What is Average High Low Temperature?
    The sum of high temperatures/low temperatures divided by the number of days in that month, recorded daily

    High Temperature

  • What is Average High Low Temperature?
    The sum of high temperatures/low temperatures divided by the number of days in that month, recorded daily

    Low Temperature

  • What is Average Sea Temperature?
    Average daily sea temperatures and divided by the number of days in the month. Sea Temperatures are taken from buoys, ships and even satellites can calculate sea temperature based on energy that is radiated from the sea's surface

    Sea Temperature

  • What are Average Daily Sunshine Hours?
    Total sunshine hours for the month, divided by the number of days in the month. Sunshine hours are taken with a sunshine recorder, either a Campbell-Stokes recorder or an Eppley Pyreheliometer

    Sunshine Hours

    4.5 hours
  • What is Average Rainfall?
    The amount of mm in rain for that month divided by the number of days, and the number of days that it rains during that month on average, over a given period of years

    Rainfall Days

    13 days
  • What is Average Rainfall?
    The amount of mm in rain for that month divided by the number of days, and the number of days that it rains during that month on average, over a given period of years


    70 mm

Slide and Tap Other Months

Palermo Daily Averages January

January 2024 Daily Averages

1 Avg 12º 54º
2 Avg 13º 55º
3 Avg 13º 55º
4 Avg 15º 59º
5 Avg 15º 59º
6 Avg 13º 55º
7 Avg 12º 54º
8 Avg 12º 54º
9 Avg 15º 59º
10 Avg 13º 55º
11 Avg 15º 59º
12 Avg 13º 55º
13 Avg 13º 55º
14 Avg 13º 55º
15 Avg 12º 54º
16 Avg 12º 54º
17 Avg 12º 54º
18 Avg 12º 54º
19 Avg 14º 57º
20 Avg 13º 55º
21 Avg 13º 55º
22 Avg 13º 55º
23 Avg 12º 54º
24 Avg 11º 52º
25 Avg 11º 52º
26 Avg 11º 52º
27 Avg 11º 52º
28 Avg 11º 52º
29 Avg 12º 54º
30 Avg 13º 55º
31 Avg 13º 55º
Avg Historical Daily Average

January Weather Averages

Sorted by popularity:

The coldest month out of the year, January's temperatures in Palermo are still better than what most of the UK experiences during this time of the year. The average daily temperature reaches up to 13°C (about 55°F), unheard of for many areas in Europe in the wintertime. The lows drop down to 11°C (around 52°F) while the highs jump up to 15°C (about 59°F).

As you're packing your suitcase, be sure to throw in a jacket or sweater for when the lows drop down at night. Especially when you'll be outdoors in evening hours, you'll want something to stay warm from the cool sea breezes. During the day, long-sleeved shirts, long pants, and a light jacket suffice. You'll only need warm weather clothes if you plan on exploring the mountains where there are chances for snow this month.

The sunshine hours drop down to 4.5 hours each day, not a ton of time to be outside, but still enough daylight hours to get in some sightseeing. Even with just a few hours of daylight, the chance of a sunny day is still 80 percent, pretty good chances of getting sun during those short hours. Even better, the chance of rain on any given day is only 20 percent and the chance of a windy day is 40 percent.

During this time of year, the rainfall amounts average around 70 mm for the month. That amount of rain falls over 13 days, so you can generally count on more days of sun than days of rain during your visit. Bring along that umbrella just in case. Even with a high cold tolerance, you'll probably want to avoid swimming or spending too much time in the water. The average sea temperature during this month is only 15°C (about 59°F), still pretty chilly.

The Grand Hotel et Des Palmes is a magnificent building near the centre of town with many amenities. The minute you step into the gorgeous hotel, you'll be provided with amazing service from the reception staff that is available 24/7. Amenities include private parking garage, laundry service, free Wi-Fi, continental buffet breakfast, and an onsite bar and restaurant. You can choose from the classic, superior, or deluxe room, or the junior or senior suite.

The three-star Hotel Joli is a good option for comfortable and affordable rooms. In the morning, enjoy the continental breakfast in the gorgeous breakfast room with frescoed ceilings. You can also head out to the large terrace with views of the gardens of the Piazza Ignazio Florio. If you're traveling with children, the hotel has family rooms with room for cribs and extra beds, as well as babysitting and laundry services. All of the rooms have television, mini-bar, and free Wi-Fi.

A boutique hotel with a chic setting, the Hotel Vecchio Borgo offers guests a location that's close to many of Palermo's historic sites, best restaurants, and shopping. The 32 rooms all have soundproofed walls, free Wi-Fi, romantic four-poster beds, and private bathrooms. The public areas include a sitting area with free newspapers and tea service and a breakfast room with views of the market. You'll also get a traditional Sicilian breakfast served each morning of your January holiday here.

Conveniently located in central Palermo, the Gagini Restaurant serves up traditional Italian dishes. The restaurant makes all the bread and pasta by hand and in-house, just one part of its commitment to Slow Food. Using only the freshest ingredients possible, the chefs concentrate on natural and organic foods when preparing meals. That philosophy carries through to the extensive wine list as well.

With a comfortable and cosy dining room, Pizzicotto is open daily for lunch and dinner. The menu includes classic Italian dishes like caprese and Caesar salads, antipasto plates, and a large selection of wood-fired pizzas. The pizzas come with traditional and unusual toppings. To complement the pizzas, the restaurant offers a large drink menu with beers, wines, and other cocktails.

The Ohana Public House in Palermo offers a little something different from the Italian and seafood fare many restaurants serve. The restaurant is family-friendly with a kids' menu and laid-back atmosphere. Here, you'll dine on hamburgers, steaks, sandwiches, and other pub favourites like chips and pretzels. Check out the drink menu with wines, beers, and cocktails.

Playing a role in the Spanish Inquisition, Palazzo Chiaramonte held many prisoners as the seat of the Inquisition. It's open to visitors daily and while there, you'll see the cells where prisoners were kept. You'll also see the graffiti, drawings, and pictures left on the walls that tell the stories of the many falsely-accused people kept here. Among the sad history, you'll see amazing Italian architecture and beauty.

Located on top of a mountain overlooking Palermo, Santuario Santa Rosalia provides visitors with astounding views of the city and the water. Once you're done taking in the scenic landscape, turn your attention to the historic church and convent that was built into the side of the mountain. The final resting place of Santa Rosalia, many visitors make the pilgrimage here to honour her.

Beautifully restored, the Oratory of the Rosary of St. Cita is a must-see when visiting Palermo and a good stop during the cooler January days. The Baroque chapel features the work of sculptor Giacomo Serpotta, with every part of his work telling a story. When visiting, take advantage of the free audio guides, available in several languages, which tell the history of the building and its role in the city.

Palermo Holiday Reviews

Slide and Tap for more Palermo Weather Averages