Chania Weather June Averages, Greece

What's the weather like in Chania in June

Temperature

Summer has finally come to Chania, in full and hot swing. The skies are nothing but bright blue with white strips of clouds, and the temperatures soar close to perfection, at an average of 24°C (75°F). The lower end is 18°C, which makes the nights pleasant and favorable for midnight beach walks. The higher end hits 29°C on average, but it goes well over 30°C throughout the third and fourth week o...

Read more

    • Temperature Temperature 24°C 75°F
    • High Temperature Holiday Weather 29°C 84°F
    • Low Temperature Holiday Weather 18°C 64°F
    • Sunshine Hours Sunshine Hours 12 hrs
    • Rainfall Rainfall 5 mm
    • Rainfall days Rainfall days 1 days
    • Sea Temperature Sea Temperature 22°C 71°F

    Chania Weather for June 2019

    What's the weather like in Chania in June

    Temperature

    Summer has finally come to Chania, in full and hot swing. The skies are nothing but bright blue with white strips of clouds, and the temperatures soar close to perfection, at an average of 24°C (75°F). The lower end is 18°C, which makes the nights pleasant and favorable for midnight beach walks. The higher end hits 29°C on average, but it goes well over 30°C throughout the third and fourth week of June. Either way, shorts and tank tops are in, sleeves and windbreakers are definitely out!

    Average Sunshine Hours

    Chances of sunny days jump to 77%, with up to 12 hours of sunshine, so we kindly advise you to not forget the SPF protection, as the UV radiation increases as well. There's a mere 2% chance of cloudy days, and a 21% chance of constant wind, which in this region of Crete translates into soft marine breezes and wind speeds of no more than 1.5 m/s. So surfing may not be your very first reason to visit Chania, as the waves don't rumble much throughout the summer.           

    Rainfall  

    There's barely one day of rain predicted for the month of June, and often the prediction is hilariously accurate. Rainfall drops to only 5mm, at 3% chances of that happening throughout the entire month. The first two weeks see humidity comfortably steady at 52%, and then gradually reduced to 48% on average. 

    Average Sea Temperature         

    The sea temperature jolts to a wonderful 22°C (71°F), with tropical currents gradually warming it further throughout the second half of June. So feel free to not only dip your toes, but also jump in and enjoy it as much as you can, as the warm and moderate sun will not pose any significant threat to prolonged exposure – we all know how good the water feels, that you forget to come out! Expect occasional chilly currents towards the late afternoon, particularly in the first and second week of June, but other than that, feel free to simply bask in the sun and inhale the salty Aegean breeze.

    Chania Hotels for June

    Accommodation in Chania is considered to be cheap throughout the peak season, compared to other Mediterranean resorts. However do expect the high quality hotels to raise their tariffs starting with June, as the splendid island of Crete begins to experience the heavy traffic of summer loving tourists from all corners of the world.

    Elia Hotel

    The superb Elia Hotel, situated in the heart of Chania Town, still has a few rooms available for £64 per night, for couples.

    Palazzo Duca

    The sumptuous Palazzo Duca also has a couple of splendid doubles going for £53 per night, with a delicious continental breakfast and breathtaking views included. 

    Samaria Hotel

    Samaria Hotel, a stupendous 4-star central venue, offers stunning doubles with modern décor and scenic views of both the city and its harbor for £95 per night.

    Smaragdi

    Alternatively, hostels still have spaces available and are well-known for their hospitability, cleanliness and comfortable accommodation options. Complete with air conditioning, brightly colored designs and other useful amenities, the central Smaragdi offers privates from £13.40 per night. 

    Hotel Zorbas Beach Village

    Hotel Zorbas Beach Village has privates available from £9.50 per night, and its location is perfect for backpackers looking to stay close to the sea and the surrounding beaches.

    Chania Hostel

    The popular Chania Hostel offers dorms from £13.50 per night, with no required minimum stay and great customer service.

    Chania Beaches in June

    Elafonisi

    Beach options are hard to pick this time of the year, because they are all open, fully functional and absolutely gorgeous. We had a hard time selecting favorites for June, but we made it nonetheless. The splendiferous Elafonisi is among the world's top ten beaches and for good reason too – this little islet features almost white smooth sands, turquoise waters and incomparable views of sky, sea and exotic wilderness.

    Falassama

    Closer to Chania, at about 50 km from its center, is the equally amazing Falassarna, winner of numerous awards for its sand quality, the impressive amount of work that goes into its flawless services and maintenance, as well as its well-known views.

    Balos Beach and Iguana Beach

    When in Chania during the summer, you most definitely have to visit Balos Beach and Iguana Beach, not only because their fame spreads worldwide, but also because of the incredible scenic views which they offer – these are the hotspots for all self-respecting photographers.

    Bars and Restaurants

    Akrogiali Taverna

    Summertime is when all the beach terraces and beach taverns are open till late and constantly cooking some of the best dishes known to man. Once again, it has been a challenge settling on top favorites, since the Greeks truly love their cuisine. One place you absolutely cannot miss is the Akrogiali Taverna, perfect for waterfront dining and delicious local food, particularly fresh fish and seafood.

    Tavern Strata

    If you're looking for authentic Cretan food, visit the Tavern Strata, a lovely typical Greek tavern whose menu consists of so many dishes, that making a choice is difficult – however we would definitely recommend trying the snails!

    MeNou & Krasi

    And the last tavern, but certainly not least on our list, is MeNou & Krasi, boasting a rich menu of both international and traditional Greek food; in fact, they take a lot of pride in the quality of their local dishes, and their reviews have been ragingly positive every single time.

    Old Harbour

    When it comes to nightlife in summer, let's just agree that Chania doesn't really sleep! Visit the Old Harbour for a fun night out, as it's riddled with cafes, cocktail bars and taverns that stay open till the wee hours of the morning.

    Eclipse Club

    Spend the weekends at the groovy Eclipse Club, where the music is loud and flows through a high quality sound system, the bar is fully stocked and the staff are friendly!

    Splendid

    Another great option for summertime clubbing is the popular Splendid, the home of all ravers, open till very late and with a variety of music that caters to all tastes – and let's not forget the cocktails! 

    Things to do in Chania in June

    Venizelia

    The Greeks are historically renowned for their sportsmanship and dedication to sports events, beginning with the Olympic Games, their medals being the marks of true champions. Venizelia takes place in June, and it's an important event not just for Cretans, but for all Greeks as well as numerous international athletes. It's an event dedicated to International Track & Field Athletics and it takes place at the National Stadium of China, and it's just one of the many conventions dedicated to the development and promotion of sports throughout the country.

    Nautical Week of Chania

    Beach volley, soccer, handball and racket games take place extensively throughout Western Crete, in the Nea Kidonia municipal unit of Chania, starting from May and going on all the way into late September. The end of June also marks the beginning of the Nautical Week of Chania, which takes place in the Old Harbour – expect nothing but smooth sails and maritime beauties showcasing their designs and ability to cut across the azure Aegean waves.

    Explore the Ancient Ruins

    Now is the perfect time to go around and explore the ancient ruins of Western Crete, when the sun is high and bright in the sky and you've got enough water to keep you going for miles! Visit the majestic Aptera, the FIrkas Tower and the Frangokastello Fortress, as well as the Lissos and Polirinnia. If you wish, you can venture even further into neighboring sites like Rethimno and Heraklion – Crete has a beautifully preserved heritage of ancient culture.

    View by:
    Flag Name Temp

    Your Holiday Weather Settings

    Show temperature in:
    Show distance in: