fr Flag

Brittany Weather in January, France

Brittany Averages January

BRITTANY AVERAGES FOR JANUARY

  • What is Average Temperature?
    The average high temperature and the average low temperature for that month, on a daily basis, divided by 2 equals the average temperature for that month

    Temperature

    7°C
    46°F
  • What is Average High Low Temperature?
    The sum of high temperatures/low temperatures divided by the number of days in that month, recorded daily

    High Temperature

    10°C
    50°F
  • What is Average High Low Temperature?
    The sum of high temperatures/low temperatures divided by the number of days in that month, recorded daily

    Low Temperature

    5°C
    41°F
  • What is Average Sea Temperature?
    Average daily sea temperatures and divided by the number of days in the month. Sea Temperatures are taken from buoys, ships and even satellites can calculate sea temperature based on energy that is radiated from the sea's surface

    Sea Temperature

    12°C
    54°F
  • What are Average Daily Sunshine Hours?
    Total sunshine hours for the month, divided by the number of days in the month. Sunshine hours are taken with a sunshine recorder, either a Campbell-Stokes recorder or an Eppley Pyreheliometer

    Sunshine Hours

    2 hours
  • What is Average Rainfall?
    The amount of mm in rain for that month divided by the number of days, and the number of days that it rains during that month on average, over a given period of years

    Rainfall Days

    17 days
  • What is Average Rainfall?
    The amount of mm in rain for that month divided by the number of days, and the number of days that it rains during that month on average, over a given period of years

    Rainfall

    54 mm

Slide and Tap Other Months

Brittany Daily Averages January

DAILY AVERAGES FOR JANUARY

January 2024
Sun
Mon
1 Avg 45º
Tue
2 Avg 46º
Wed
3 Avg 48º
Thu
4 Avg 45º
Fri
5 Avg 45º
Sat
6 Avg 45º
7 Avg 43º
8 Avg 46º
9 Avg 10º 50º
10 Avg 46º
11 Avg 45º
12 Avg 46º
13 Avg 41º
14 Avg 41º
15 Avg 43º
16 Avg 41º
17 Avg 39º
18 Avg 37º
19 Avg 36º
20 Avg 36º
21 Avg 36º
22 Avg 41º
23 Avg 41º
24 Avg 45º
25 Avg 41º
26 Avg 43º
27 Avg 46º
28 Avg 43º
29 Avg 46º
30 Avg 45º
31 Avg 46º
Forecast
Avg Historical Daily Average

January Weather Averages

Sorted by popularity:

January is particularly cool in Brittany, with an average temperature of 8°C. Daily temperature lows are 5°C, with a high of 10°C, though there may be some variation throughout this large region. Be sure to check the weather forecast daily, as this range of temperatures does mean that you may have to change your wardrobe regularlyhats and gloves should be carried with you just in case the weather turns during your excursions.

The sea water temperature is a cool 12°C, so you may wish to leave swimming until the warmer months though heading in for a dip may actually warm you up, it's getting out into the cold air that is the problem! This region of France tends to have a moist climate, with rainfall occurring all year round, although this month is one of the rainiest times of year with an average of 17 days of rain and 54 mm total. This means an umbrella is an essential item to carry with you! There is a 60% chance of rain on any given day, as well as a 20% chance of the day being cloudy. The good news is that your umbrella will not be turning inside out regularly, as there is only a 20% chance of strong winds. You're also in a better position than in February, when rainfall is even more frequent.

Make sure to plan your daily activities carefully through this month you will find an average of only 4 hours of sunshine a day, so prioritise the things you want to see in daylight, such as outdoor activities and local monuments. This is one of the darker months, so if you are planning on spending a lot of time outdoors, the summer may be a better time to travel. Of course, candlelit meals and strolls in the night can be very romantic too!

The Ibis Brest Kergaradec is ranked as one of the better and most affordable hotels in Brest, a city in the north-western region of Brittany. The hotel offers breakfast at the on-site restaurant. It is an intimate hotel, but perfect for families, too. It also has a bar which is open 24/7 for those who may be arriving late.

Hotel Abalys, also in Brest, offers a great location and staff. This comfortable hotel is affordable and ranked highly by previous guests. This is a great stay for January because it is close to local amenities and attractions, so you won't have to walk far in the cold. You can also go down to a breakfast buffet each morning or enjoy room service.

If you fancy staying in Guidel, why not try Domaine De Kerbastic? This four-star hotel and restaurant is set in a large former mansion, and offers a very upmarket option. The décor and fittings are lavishly stylish, and the restaurant serves haute cuisine.

If you are visiting Brest, try Le Kube Restaurant for an upmarket dining experience. They often post their menus online, so you can check out what they have to offer before you visit though a knowledge of French is advised as they do not supply translations. They do have a full wine menu on offer!

The Creperie du Roi Gradlon is a must after all, you can't visit France without enjoying a crepe or two. These pancake-like meals are served savoury as a main course. Here you will find lots of variations, served up in a stylish way for the ultimate experience.

You could also head on over to Le Coup De Fourchette. It may not look like much from the outside, but inside, the cuisine is delicious. It is a small restaurant, but the plates are prepared beautifully and you will get personalised service from the chef, who is known to walk amongst the tables and speak to his guests. 

Brest is one of the biggest cities in Brittany and well worth a visit. While there, drop in to Oceanopolis for no less than 50 indoor aquariums showcasing three different climate zones: temperate, polar, and tropical. Ideal for families, there is a variety of marine life and fish from local regions. It's ideal for January, as you can stay indoors and enjoy yourself no matter how low temperatures may drop.

This region is known for fishing, so visit the Musee de la Peche in Concarneau to get an idea of how it has shaped the local area. Here you will see exhibits and find out a lot of information about this important trade. It's an interesting day out for adults and older children.

The Village de Poul-Fetan in Quistinic is a lot more interactive, inviting you to visit a traditional Breton village and see how life would have been in the past. Children will love being able to play traditional games and see all of the workers here who are dressed in traditional costume. You can even pick up some artisan bread made by traditional methods in the village.