Sotogrande Weather January Averages, Spain
The coldest month of the year, January sees lows that drop all the way down to 9°C (about 48°F). The average daily temperature sits at 13°C (around 55°F), cool but still warm enough to spend some time outside. You probably won't be doing too much golfing or swimming, but you can get out and do some hiking and sightseeing. The highs get up to 16°C (about 61°F), closer to the springtime temperatures seen in the UK.
While the area only gets 5 hours of daylight each day on average, that's still enough time to explore the resort. The rainfall amounts continue to stay high, with an average of 102 mm falling across the month. That amount falls over 12 days in the month, so you'll want to have your umbrella or poncho handy. The chance of a sunny day is 20 percent, the chance of a cloudy day is 20%, and the chance of rain is 60%.
Snow and frost are rare in this part of southern Europe, so you won't need to bring along snow gear like boots and gloves. You do want to pack a coat or jacket, as well as long-sleeved shirts, sweaters, and trousers. It gets breezy this time of the year, with an 80% chance of a windy day, so bring along a warm hat and maybe even gloves and a scarf to stay warm.
With an ocean temperature of 16°C (about 61°F), you probably won't be doing much swimming or water sports. With the decent air temperatures, however, you can still get out on the beach and wander down by the water. The temperatures typically stay consistent during this time of the year, but this part of Spain has seen some extremes. The highest recorded temperature for this month was a very steamy 23°C (about 73°F). The lowest temperature seen was a chilly 1°C (around 33°F).
Where to Stay
Found in Manilva, not far from Sotogrande, the Resort Terrazas Costa del Sol has tons of amenities that appeal to single travellers, couples, and families. While staying here, you'll get sweeping views of the Rock of Gibraltar, free kids' activities, waterpark with two swimming pools, and half-board packages. The spacious apartments have separate seating areas, private balconies, kitchenettes, and one, two, or three bedrooms.
You can't miss the Hotel Dona Luisa with its bright blue and white exterior and fantastic beachfront location. The hotel is in nearby Manilva and has 28 twin or double rooms with views of the Mediterranean Sea or the city. Each room has a private bathroom, satellite television, air conditioning, and separate closet or wardrobe. You'll enjoy direct beach access, an on-site coffee shop and cafeteria, and free Wi-Fi.
Casa Magnolia can accommodate a large crowd with four double bedrooms, each with its own bathroom, plus two cots and two sofa beds. The house has a large lounge and dining room area with a flat-screen television and DVD player and a huge kitchen with all major appliances. During your January stay, you'll enjoy other home amenities like washer and dryer, private pool, balcony, terrace, and grill.
Things to Do
Designed by Dave Thomas, the San Roque Club has an old course and a new course to challenge everyone from beginner golfers to professionals. Both courses are par-72 and provide golfers with panoramic views of the mountains. The club also offers a two-tier driving range, putting greens, and practice holes. If you need a lesson, the on-site golf academy provides instruction.
If you're overdue for some pampering, head over to the Hotel Almenara and its Elysium Spa. Indulge in a rainy January afternoon's worth of body treatments, massages, facials, and nail services in one of the 10 private cabins. The spa has a fitness and wellness club so you can also stay fit while on holiday. The water area offers a hydrothermal circuit for even more relaxation.
From Wednesday through Saturday, Sotogrande hosts an evening market down at the Ribera del Marlin Sotogrande Marina. The market features numerous booths with local artisans and businesses selling homemade items. You'll also be entertained by musical acts and other performances. The market even has special entertainment for the kids and lots of extra fun.
Eating and Drinking Out
Located right on the Sotogrande waterfront, Brasserie La Terrasse offers diners a large outdoor terrace to enjoy the many days of sunshine the area receives each year. The restaurant is a great place to sit and enjoy a cool drink as you watch the boats come in and out of the marina. The menu has influences from a wide variety of cuisines, including Spanish, Mediterranean, French, Belgian, and international.
A traditional Italian pizzeria serving up some of the best slices in the area, Trattoria Portobello- Sotogrande is guaranteed to satisfy your pizza cravings. If pizza isn't on your radar, the restaurant has a variety of pasta and seafood dishes including favourites like spaghetti Bolognese and pasta with prawns. Vegetarians will appreciate the selection of meat-free dishes.
The Mariposa Bar and Grill has a little bit of something for every taste. The menu includes British, Spanish, American, seafood, and international cuisines, creating an eclectic mix of fusion dishes. During the summer months, dine on the outdoor patio to the sounds of a live band. Don't miss the extensive cocktail menu with twists on classics like mojitos, martinis, cosmos, and strawberry daiquiris.
Holiday Weather Blog
Top 10 Weather Facts – Cancun ☀️🏝🇲🇽
1. Sea temperature is always warm due to Yucatan Current 🌊 Bringing warm water from the south. This current comes up from Honduras through the Yucatan Channel to the eastern part of the Gulf. 2. Cancun Dry Season is US and UK Winter The temperature in Cancun is pretty consistent right through the year around 84. […]
Most Popular Blogs
Best Places to Go For Winter Sun in December ☀️🏝🤿
December is a great time to escape to sunnier climates in order to avoid the harsh British winter that plagues the UK every year. Tenerife 🇮🇨 Tenerife Weather Lowdown December: Tenerife has always been thought of as the Island of Eternal Spring and this is especially true for the month of December. Whilst much of […]