Weather Averages for Punta cana in March
Averages for Punta cana in March
Punta Cana, located on the eastern coast of the Dominican Republic, is a very popular holiday resort which boasts a tropical climate, loads of sunshine and high temperatures. March falls toward the end of the dry season in Punta Cana, when the temperatures begin to steadily rise and the amount of rainfall drops considerably.
At this time of the year, the average temperature for Punta Cana rises very slightly as the month develops, starting from 25.5°C at the beginning of the month and increasing up to 26°C by the end of the month. Daily highs rise from 28°C to 29°C and daily lows stay constant at 23°C throughout the month.
In recent times, the highest temperature which has ever been recorded in Punta Cana in March is 36°C, whilst the lowest temperature ever registered in the resort at this time of year is 16°C.
Since it falls toward the end of the dry season, March sees only a small quantity of rainfall, compared to October and November. During this month, the average rainfall for the resort is 55mm – that’s two inches. This small amount of rainfall is divided between four rainy days across the month, which means there is hardly any chance you’ll see any rainfall at all during your holiday.
If you do see some of the wet stuff during your stay in Punta Cana, it will most likely be light rain, moderate rain or thunderstorms. Rainfall is most likely to happen around March 2nd, when it occurs in 28% of days. On the other hand, rainfall is least likely to occur around March 20th, when it falls on 24% of days.
In March, Punta Cana enjoys around nine hours of sunshine every day – that’s the same as in January and February. With so much sunshine, you’ll have plenty of chances to explore the local area and soak up some rays.
Throughout the month, the length of the day is gradually increasing, with a difference of 33 minutes between the start and the end of March. The shortest day of the month is March 1st with 11 hours and 47 minutes of daylight, whilst the longest day of the month is March 31st with 12 hours and 20 minutes of daylight.
In March, the sky in Punta Cana is best described as being partly cloudy, with a median cloud coverage of 46%, which hardly changes at all throughout the month.
During an average March in the resort, wind speeds usually fluctuate between 2 m/s and 7 m/s (light to moderate breeze) very rarely rising above 9 m/s (fresh breeze). The highest average wind speed of 5 m/s (gentle breeze) usually happens around March 5th, when the average daily maximum is 7 m/s. On the other hand, the lowest average wind speed of 5 m/s tends to occurs around March 20th, when the average daily maximum is 6 m/s.
The relative humidity for the resort in March ranges between 63% (mildly humid) and 92% (very humid), almost never dropping below 54% or reaching 100%. The air is usually at its driest around March 14th, when the relative humidity levels fall below 67% three days out of every four. On the other hand, March 22nd is usually when the air is at its most humid, when the relative humidity levels exceed 88% three days out of four.
The average sea temperature for Punta Cana in March is 26°C – that’s the same temperature as February. During this month, the sea is more than warm enough to enjoy all sorts of aquatic activities, so expect to see loads of sunbathers and swimmers on the beaches during your holiday.
Dates for the diary
- March is a great time to visit Punta Cana when there is absolutely loads to see and do. The month kicks off with St Patrick’s Day on March 17th which is celebrated in Dreams Punta Cana Resort & Spa. On this day, the hotel goes all out with fun and games for visitors all ages, including competitions, special events, entertainment, Irish food and plenty of green beer for adults to enjoy.
- St Patrick’s Day is followed by the Juan Luis Guerra, Alejandro Sanz and Robi Draco Rosa Concert which takes place on March 22nd 2014 on the Golf course at the Hard Rock Hotel & Casino. A much-see for music lovers, this concert is sure to be amazing, so make sure you snap up tickets early if you don’t want to miss out.
- Between March 23rd and March 27th 2014, Hard Rock Hotel & Casino hosts another music concert, this one performed by the Zac Brown Band. The Zac Brown Band is one of the best American country-folk groups and they’ll be accompanied by their opening act, the Wailers – a reggae band comprised of surviving members of Bob Marley and the Wailers.
- On March 27th 2014, the Hard Rock Hotel & Casino also hosts a Michael Bolton concert. This Grammy-winning performer is one of the best American songwriters and has a grand total of eight top-ten albums.
- Each year in March, the Dreams Punta Cana Resort and Spa celebrates Mardi Gras with a huge party. Arguably the biggest and best Mardi Gras celebration in the whole of the Dominican Republic, this event is made up of live music concerts, parades, costume contests, dancing and a beach BBQ to top it all off. The dates for the 2015 Mardi Gras party have yet to be released, so keep an eye out for posters advertising the event closer to the time.
- The Hard Rock Casino & Resort is set to host the Winger Island Breeze in March 2015. This annual event is made up of a pool party, elegant dinner, lively beach party, comedy acts, music, dancing and plenty of food, providing loads for everyone to enjoy.
- The main boulevard in Punta Cana is scheduled to be the centre stage for the resort’s carnival celebrations in March 2015. Carnival is one of the most highly-anticipated events of the year in Punta Cana and is comprised of street parties, parades, singing, dancing, music concerts and dance troupes.
Things to do
- One of the best ways to explore the beautiful beaches in Punta Cana is on horseback. Whether you’re an experienced rider or have never been horse riding before in your life, the staff at the Uvero Alto Ranch will find you the perfect horse to suit your abilities. Slowly trot along the golden sandy shore or energetically gallop through the gentle waves to create memories which will last a lifetime on this family-friendly excursion. The trip includes pick-up from your hotel, a professional guide, horseback rides, snacks, drinks and leisure time at Macao Beach.
- You’ll find a huge range of water sports available at the beaches in Punta Cana, but if you’re looking for something a bit out of the ordinary, try a snorkel and Caribbean dance cruise. This half day excursion includes snorkelling in the warm Caribbean waters, before heading back to the boat where you can enjoy lively entertainment and dance until dawn. The price of the excursion includes pick-up and drop-off at your hotel, local guide, snorkelling equipment, snacks and drinks.
- Many of the hotels in Punta Cana feature luxury spas and offer great packages for visitors who are staying elsewhere. The spa at Dreams Punta Cana Resort & Spa is a wonderful place to relax, complete with Swedish and steam saunas, hydrotherapy, cold plunge pools and many beauty treatments on offer. So no one feels left out, there are even several treatments available for teenagers and children.
- When it comes to dining, you’ll be spoilt for choice in Punta Cana. If you’re craving Asian cuisine, head to the Balicana restaurant in Los Corales, where you’ll find a wide range of Thai, Japanese and Chinese dishes. Here you can experience outdoor dining in the beautiful setting of the tropical gardens or enjoy your meal in the air-conditioned interior, if you prefer.
Where to stay
- The Alisios Bavaro Beach Hotel is ideal for families and couples looking for a cheap holiday. This two-star hotel offers comfortable rooms complete with fridge, air-conditioning and WiFi and boasts a fantastic location surrounded by cafes, shops, bars and restaurants. There are plenty onsite services and facilities for guests to enjoy, including swimming pool, solarium, bars, restaurants and evening entertainment.
- When it comes to romantic hotels, it’s tough to beat Excellence Punta Cana. This all-inclusive hotel provides guests with access to luxury accommodation and loads of facilities, including free WiFi access, bars, restaurants, swimming pools, fitness centre, water sports, mini golf, beauty salon and excursion bookings.
- For a hotel which offers everything you could ever want, it’s got to be Luxury Bahia Principe Esmeralda. This hotel provides accommodation in the form of junior suites, each of which comes with a hydro-massage tub. There are loads of amenities and services available for guests to enjoy, including bars, restaurants, swimming pools, spa, golf course, water park and WiFi access.