Weather Averages for Ibiza in December
Averages for Ibiza in December
December is one of the coolest months of the year in Ibiza, Spain, when the temperatures are cold and the weather is damp. At this time of the year, the average temperature begins at 14°C and slowly falls until it reaches 12.5°C during the final few days of the month.
Daily high temperatures for December begin at 17°C and slightly drop to 16°C by the end of the month, only rising above 20°C or falling below 13°C one day out of every ten. Daily low temperatures change in a similar pattern, falling from 11°C at the start of the month to 9°C by the end, very rarely exceeding 14°C or falling below 5°C.
The highest temperature which has ever been recorded in recent times for Ibiza in December is 28°C, with the lowest temperature ever recorded for the island this month being 2°C. When you compare these temperatures to the average for the month – 13°C – it’s clear that they’re the extremes and certainly aren’t what you should expect to experience during your holiday.
Throughout December, Ibiza receives an average of 69mm of rainfall – much more than in November. This rainfall is divided between 11 days, which means that there is a really good chance you’ll get a shower or two during your holiday. If you want to minimise the risk of getting wet, you’re best off packing some waterproof clothing or an umbrella.
Moderate rain is the most likely type of precipitation you’ll get in Ibiza in December, which usually happens around December 5th. This is followed by light rain which tends to occur around December 15th. The third most expected form of rainfall is thunderstorms which usually make an appearance around December 1st. Drizzle and light rain can also occur during this month, but you’ll be pleased to hear that the chance of snowfall is extremely unlikely.
The probability of rainfall occurring at any point throughout December falls slightly as the month progresses, decreasing from 33% on December 2nd down to 31% by December 31st. Despite the cool temperatures and high chance of rainfall, Ibiza is affected by foggy conditions on only one day each December.
At 17°C, the average sea temperature for Ibiza in December is much cooler than the previous months. Unfortunately, this low temperature is considered to be far too cold for most people to enjoy a dip in the sea. If you’re determined to go for a swim during your holiday, take advantage of the many indoor and heated swimming pools throughout Ibiza during your holiday.
Throughout December, the average relative daily humidity for Ibiza is around 76%, created by highs of 93% and lows of 59%.
Across the month, Ibiza receives an average of seven hours of sunshine each day – that’s one hour less each day than in November. The daylight and sunshine hours stay essentially constant throughout the month, with the length of the day decreasing by only ten minutes between December 1st and December 31st.
In a typical December, wind speeds tend to fluctuate between 0 m/s and 7 m/s (calm to moderate breeze), very rarely going above 12 m/s (strong breeze). The highest average wind speed of 4 m/s (gentle breeze) tends to occur around December 23rd, when the average daily maximum is 7 m/s. The lowest average wind speed of 3 m/s usually happens around December 2nd, at which time the average maximum wind speed is 6 m/s.
Ibiza Town in Ibiza, Spain
Things to do
- The new port in Ibiza is one of the best places to enjoy a leisurely stroll. Located in Ibiza Town, this port is lined by all sorts of shops, supermarkets, cafes, bars and restaurants, so you’ll never be stuck for somewhere to go to grab a bite to eat. The best time to visit the port is on an evening, when locals and visitors alike mix together in the lounges and eateries, making it a top people-watching location. There’s always a lively atmosphere here – no matter which time of year you visit.
- Open all-year-round every Saturday from 10am until 8pm, the Hippy Market in Las Dalias is a must-visit during your stay in Ibiza. Whether you’re interested in purchasing something or just want to look around, the hippy market is a great place to be and always has a lively vibe. Here you can get your hands on all sorts of interesting handmade and artisan gifts, including: clothes, jewellery, musical instruments, CDs, decorative items, paintings, books, hammocks, shoes and antiques. If you’re feeling a bit stressed, you can even enjoy a massage here or have your future read by a palm reader.
- When it comes to activities adults and children can enjoy together, a day out to Acrobosc Ibiza is a great choice. Located in between Santa Eulalia and Es Cana, this assault course is set in an area of pine trees and provides visitors with two circuits to choose from – an easier circuit and a more difficult one. There are 39 platforms in total – each between 2m and 6m high – 43 obstacles and 16 ziplines – from 4m to 65m – guaranteeing you 2/3 hours of non-stop fun. In December, the Acrobosc Ibiza is open on Saturdays, Sundays and bank holidays from 10am until 5.30pm and children must be at least three years old to participate.
Port in Ibiza Town in Ibiza, Spain
Where to stay
- Intertur Apartamentos Miami Ibiza is a top pick for families and couples looking for somewhere to stay during their holiday in Ibiza. This complex is made up of a selection of one- and two-bedroom apartments, each of which comes complete with: separate bedroom(s), lounge with two sofa beds, satellite TV, telephone, air conditioning, WiFi access, safe, cots available upon request, complete bathroom with hairdryer and full kitchen with microwave and fridge. There are all sorts of services and amenities available for visitors to enjoy, including: swimming pool, kids’ pool, reception, multilingual staff, solarium with sun beds and shades, bar-café, air conditioned restaurant, kids’ club, disabled facilities, billiards, internet corner and table tennis.
- When it comes to central accommodation, Bahia Apartments are perfect. Situated in the centre of Santa Eulalia within easy access of shops, cafes, bars and restaurants, this complex is made up of 24 two-bedroom and three-bedroom apartments, each of which features: separate bedroom,living room with sofas and dining table, separate kitchen with oven, fridge, microwave, kettle, toaster, washing machine and utensils, complete bathroom, balcony, air conditioning, heating, satellite TV, WiFi access and housekeeping. There is a very small selection of services and facilities available for guests to enjoy onsite, including: private parking, lift, multilingual staff and reception.
- If you’d rather stay in a hotel than an apartment complex, take a look at Hotel Puchet. This family-run three-star hotel provides a number of services and facilities for guests to enjoy, including: outdoor swimming pool, garden, terrace, solarium, billiards, table tennis, fitness centre, bicycle rental, restaurant, bar, snack bar, free WiFi access, free public parking, car hire, shuttle service, luggage storage and 24-hour reception. Guests can choose between single, twin and triple rooms, each of which features: air conditioning, balcony, satellite TV, flat screen TV, safety deposit box, desk, heating, private bathroom with hairdryer and complimentary toiletries, mini bar and wake-up service.
Inside a Hotel Room in Ibiza, Spain
December events in Ibiza
La Marina Craft Market
1st December 2014 to 13th December 2014
From March until December in 2015, Eivisa hosts a local produce market at Mercat Vell de Vila. In addition to the fruit and vegetables, you'll also find handicrafts for sale, entertainment for children and adults, health food, alternative therapies and live music.
XI Cyclo-Tourist Ibiza Tour Campagnolo
6th December 2014 to 8th December 2014
The San Antoni Cycling Club and Mammoth Ibiza have come together to organise the XI Cyclo-Tourist Ibiza Tour Campagnolo. This sports event is made up of a cycling tour which covers almost the whole of Ibiza. The tour begins at Sant Antoni and covers the island in three one-day stages, passing by Sant Agustí, Jesús and Santa Agnes. The tour ends with an awards ceremony and BBQ party.
Cursa de S’indiot
15th December 2014
The Cursa de S’indiot (Turkey Race) takes place in Eivissa and is made up of an amateur cycling event which covers more than 42km. The main race begins at 10am at Av. de Santa Eulalia and follows a path between Ibiza-Santa Eulalia-Ca na Pepeta-Ibiza. The minimum age for participants is 15, although there is a much shorter junior race available for little ones to enjoy for free.