Weather Averages for Ibiza in May
Averages for Ibiza in May
The weather is warm and sunny in Ibiza, Spain in May, making it a fantastic time to visit. The average temperature starts off at around 16.5°C in the first few days of the month and steadily rises until it reaches 21.5°C toward the end of the month.
Daily high temperatures for May increase from 20°C at the start of the month to 24°C by the end, only rising above 26°C or falling below 18°C one day out of every ten. Daily low temperatures change in a similar fashion, starting off at 13°C and rising as the month progresses up to 17°C, very rarely exceeding 19°C or dropping below 10°C.
In recent times, the highest temperature which has ever been recorded for Ibiza in May is 30°C, with the lowest temperature ever recorded for the island during this month being 8°C. When you look at these temperatures alongside the average for the month – 19°C – it’s easy to see that they’re the extremes and definitely aren’t what you should be prepared for during your holiday.
In 2013, the longest cold spell of the year took place between May 20th and June 8th – that’s 20 consecutive days which had cooler than average low temperatures. Overall, May 2013 had the largest fraction of cooler than average days during that year, with 74% of days having lower than average low temperatures.
Throughout May, Ibiza receives an average of 28mm of rainfall spread across seven days – that’s significantly less than the previous months. With rain falling on 25% of days throughout the month, there’s a good chance that you’ll experience some precipitation during your holiday, so be prepared and bring an umbrella with you.
Moderate rain is the most likely type of precipitation you’ll experience during your holiday and tends to occur around May 2nd. Light rain is the second most expected type of rainfall for this month and usually happens around May 1st. The third most common type of precipitation is thunderstorms which are generally expected around May 17th. Although drizzle is also quite likely to occur during this month, you’ll be pleased to hear that heavy rain and moderate snow are practically unheard of for this time of year.
The probability of precipitation falls dramatically as the month progresses, dropping from 26% on May 2nd all the way down to 19% by May 31st. As you’d expect for this time of year, Ibiza isn’t affected by any foggy conditions at all throughout May.
At 18°C, the average sea temperature for Ibiza in May is much warmer than any of the previous months. This temperature is generally considered to be quite cool, but most people will be able to enjoy a quick, refreshing dip without getting too cold. If the sea is too cold for you, take advantage of the many indoor and heated pools available throughout Ibiza.
The average daily humidity for Ibiza in May is around 74%, made up of lows of 56% and highs of 92%.
Throughout May, Ibiza receives an average of 12 hours of sunshine each day – that’s two more hours each day than in April. The daylight and sunshine hours gradually increase as the month progresses, with the day lengthening by 51 minutes between May 1st and May 31st.
Wind speeds tend to fluctuate between 0 m/s and 6 m/s (calm to moderate breeze) throughout May, almost never exceeding 10 m/s (fresh breeze). The highest average wind speed of 4 m/s (gentle breeze) usually happens around May 1st, when the average daily maximum is 6 m/s. On the other hand, the lowest average wind speed of 3 m/s tends to occur toward the other end of the month around May 25th when the average daily maximum is 6 m/s.
Cala d'Hort Beach in Ibiza, Spain
Things to do
- If you want to get out and about for a bit of exploring, head into Dalt Vila. Situated in Old Town Ibiza, this historic site is packed full of traditional buildings, winding paths, local restaurants and shops just waiting to be explored. Despite its small size, you can easily spend hours here just walking around and soaking up the atmosphere. The buildings and views are truly beautiful so make sure you remember to take your camera with you.
- Santa Gertrudis is another top place to visit if you want to see the sights. Set in the middle of the island, this small village is made up of a main square surrounded by bars, cafes and restaurants where you can relax and watch the world go by. Many artists, musicians and sculptors are regulars to the area which gives it a bohemian atmosphere. If you’re looking for gifts to take home for friends and family, you’ll be spoilt for choice here, with a huge number of craft, clothing, accessory and art shops scattered throughout.
- The warm weather Ibiza enjoys in May makes it a great month to hit the beach. S’Arenal Gran is one of the most popular on the island and is located close to Portinatx. One of the largest bays in the area, this beach is surrounded by hotels, cafes, shops and restaurants, providing plenty of choice when it comes to lunch. Here you’ll find fine white sand peppered with pine trees which gently slopes down into the sea that is almost completely rock-free making it perfect for swimming. The facilities onsite include: car park, sun loungers, parasols, disabled access, pedalo rental, motorboat rental, water skiing, mini water park, showers and lifeguards between June and September
- Further on from S’Arenal Gran you’ll find S’Arenal de San Antonio. Found in the centre of the resort, this beach is more than 500 metres long and 50 metres wide, making it perfect for families and couples who want a lot of room to spread out. Backed by hotels and apartment complexes, this bay features soft white sands which gradually slope down into clean and clear waters that are ideal for bathing. The onsite amenities and services include: sun beds, parasols, showers, lifeguards, disabled access, restaurants, bars, shops, pedalo hire, sailing boats, windsurfing, water, skiing, diving and boat trips.
- If you’re in the mood to party, sign up for an Ibiza Sea Party. One of the biggest and most popular excursions on the island, this trip takes place on a giant catamaran which can cater for more than 150 people and boasts the best facilities and services available. The price of your ticket includes: unlimited alcoholic and soft drinks, lunch, dinner, jet skiing, snorkelling, DJs, live music, photos, video recordings, music, gifts and passes into a number of top night clubs. The Ibiza Sea Party sails once every day between May 3rd and October 9th 2014 from 4pm until 10pm and the itinerary covers ground between Ibiza and the island of Formentera.
Island of Formentera in Ibiza, Spain
Where to stay
- When it comes to comfortable, cheap and centrally-located accommodation in Ibiza, Orvay Apartments tick all the boxes. Located in San Antonio, these self-catering apartments are situated a short walk away from the beach and the resort centre where you’ll find loads of cafes, shops, bars, restaurants and nightclubs. Guests can choose between studios, one-bedroom apartments and two-bedroom apartments, each of which features: balcony, full bathroom, kitchenette with oven, fridge, sink and microwave and air conditioning. There is a handful of services and facilities for guests to enjoy onsite, such as: swimming pool, café/restaurant, pool table, WiFi access, currency exchange, car rental, lift, excursion booking and safety deposit box.
- Families and couples searching for a boutique hotel in Ibiza should check out Las Arenas. Only a stone’s throw away from the beach, this hotel provides a handful of services and amenities for guests to enjoy, including: restaurant, coffee bar, terrace, bakery and free WiFi access. There are 20 different rooms to choose from, all of which have recently been renovated. Each room comes complete with: private bathroom with hairdryer, air conditioning, TV and safe.
- Tropic Garden is a great choice when it comes to affordable luxury. This hotel is situated on the east coast of Ibiza in Santa Eulalia and provides guests with access to studios and one-bedroom apartments. Each room is spacious and comes well equipped with: air conditioning, telephone, flat screen TV, free WiFi access, balcony with outdoor furniture, safe, wake-up calls, sitting area with sofa bed, private bathroom, kitchen with fridge, microwave, hob, kettle and utensils and daily housekeeping. Many of the rooms also come with sea or pool views. There is a wealth of services and facilities available for guests to enjoy, including: outdoor swimming pools, indoor swimming pool, sauna, Jacuzzi, fitness room, sports facilities, mini club, entertainment team and restaurant.
- Families looking for a child-friendly hotel in Ibiza should check out Hotel Anfora. Set in the tourist resort of Es Cana, this hotel is only a short walk away from the beach, shops, cafes, bars, restaurants and nightclubs, making it a top pick for anyone who wants to be in the centre of it all. Here you’ll find plenty of services and facilities to take advantage of, such as: buffet restaurant, swimming pools, solarium, Sky TV, lounge, free parking, internet access, pool tables, table tennis, facilities for disabled guests, playground, kids’ club and water sport booking. Guests can choose between 108 single and double fully-refurbished rooms, each of which comes complete with: terrace or balcony, telephone, safety deposit box, fan, fridge, hairdryer, iron, toaster, kettle and radio.
- Hotel/Apartment Ses Savines is ideal for holidaymakers who want to be close to the beach during their holiday in Ibiza. Located only a stone’s throw away from the San Antonio bay, this complex provides guests with access to single, double and twin rooms, many of which come with sea views. Each of the apartments feature: complete bathroom, telephone, satellite TV, air conditioning, kitchenette (studios only), balcony or terrace (some rooms only). There are loads of services and facilities for guests to enjoy onsite, such as: outdoor swimming pool, indoor heated pool, kids’ pool, diving school, mini golf course, tennis courts, squash court, gym, sauna, rifle shooting, pool tables, table tennis, games room, TV lounge, buffet restaurant, café, lounge bars, evening entertainment, children’s entertainment, car park, internet corner, 24-hour reception and currency exchange.
Inside a Hotel Room in Ibiza, Spain
May events in Ibiza
Round the Island Cycle Challenge
1st May 2015 to 4th May 2015
Round the Island Cycle Challenge is a two-day sports event held to raise money for the HAIRraising appeal which aims to provide a new respiratory ward for the Great Ormond Street Hospital. There are two different routes to choose from - an easier one which covers 135km and a more difficult one which covers 190km. The cycling race ends with a celebratory after party at Pacha.
7th May 2015 to 10th May 2015
The Medieval Fair is held around the second week of May in Dalt Vila. The festival begins at 10am with a themed market, followed by a firework display after sunset. Up until the end of the fair, the whole region is decked out in traditional flags, with locals dressed in Medieval clothing, loads of craft markets and entertainers performing in the street. The Medieval Fair is completely free to enjoy and is one of the most highly anticipated events of the year.