Tavira Weather May Averages, Portugal
What's the weather like in Tavira in May?
In comes May to Tavira with rising temperatures and dropping rainfall chances. During this month, the rainfall amounts average 21 mm, dropping 17 mm from April. That amount of rain falls over 8 days on average. More than likely you'll have more rain-free days than rainy days during your stay at this resort that's part of the Algarve province in Portugal. Check the local forecast each day before you head out to see if you'll need to tote around an umbrella.
Sea Temperature and Sunshine Hours
The chance of a sunny day on any given day is 67 percent and the chance of clouds is 33 percent. Thanks to abundant sunshine, you'll want to head down to the beach. The ocean water is warming up too, averaging 18°C (around 64°F) this time of the year. That might feel a little chilly still to some people, but with the warm outside air, you'll warm up fast when you get out. You'll get an average 12 hours of sunshine during the day this month, plenty of time for sightseeing and fun.
The average daily temperature for this month is 17°C (about 63°F), lovely weather for exploring the area.
At night-time, you can expect the lows to go down to around 12°C (around 54°F), but those cooler temperatures will be a welcome respite after the warm day. The highs get up to a near-perfect 22°C (around 72°F), so be sure to take advantage and get outside to enjoy the day.
The highest temperature ever recorded for this area in this month was an extreme 34°C (around 92°F), more than likely caused by the Sirocco winds. The lowest temperature ever went down to a chilly 7°C (about 44°F). Fortunately, these extreme temperatures are rare and typically, you'll get moderate temperatures to enjoy during your stay at the resort.
Hotels in Tavira in May
Sitting right on the Atlantic Ocean, the Eurotel Altura resort is the ultimate in luxury for your holiday away to Tavira. High-end amenities include spa and wellness centre, on-site restaurants, kids' club, indoor and outdoor pools, tennis court, bars and lounges, and reading room. While staying here, you'll also get privileges for the Altura beach and club. Four types of rooms are available including standard, superior, junior suite, and suite.
The Vila Monte takes the farm-to-table dining concept even further by offering sumptuous accommodations and dining in a restored farmhouse. Each of the rooms and suites has its own distinct personality and come with air conditioning, in-room safe, television, free internet, minibar, and balcony with amazing views of the surrounding countryside. Hotel amenities include outdoor cinema, yoga, tennis, hiking, biking, massage services, and outdoor pools.
The Lux Tavira villa complex has numerous private apartments for the vacationer looking for extra space. All the villas sit around the community pool and are just steps from the beach. All of the villas have private balconies and terraces so that you can enjoy time outdoors in the warm May weather. Thanks to its location in rural Algarve, you'll also get peace and quiet during your holiday away to Tavira.
Beaches in Tavira in May
Found in the village of Cabanas, just down from Tavira, Ilha de Cabanas-Mar or Cabanas Beach, has 7 km of white sand beach. The ocean water is starting to warm up at 18°C (around 64°F), so some may wish to try swimming. You can access the beach via a shuttle boat that runs from the town. One-way trips costs as little as 60 cents a person. The beach offers helpful amenities like café, bar, showers, toilets, umbrella and lounger rentals, and watersport rentals to make your stay even better.
Bars and Restaurants
Black Anchor Irish Pub and Restaurant
Bringing a taste of Ireland right to the south of Portugal, the Black Anchor Irish Pub and Restaurant serves up all the Celtic favourites. Menu choices include homemade soups, fresh salads, Cataplanas, pasta dishes, and Irish coffee. Every Sunday, the Black Anchor offers a traditional Sunday roast dinner with all the fixings. The bar serves up Guinness beer, as well a large selection of other craft beers, wines, and ports. Come in for live music on the weekends as well.
Castelo Cafe e Restaurante
Tucked away in the centre of Tavira, the Castelo Cafe e Restaurante is an unassuming and cosy restaurant that dishes out one of the best steaks in the area. The restaurant's menu includes Brazilian specialties, as well as Portuguese, and you can't miss the dessert menu with strawberry cheesecake and red velvet cake. The portions are large and the prices are affordable for a steakhouse, so don't miss this restaurant on your trip to the Algarve province.
Sabores da Ria
Overlooking the salt pans of Tavira, Sabores da Ria offers up astounding views of the Ria Formosa and the Atlantic Ocean from the dining room and the outside balcony. Not to be outdone by the views, the menu boasts fresh seafood, fish, and sushi. Other menu favourites include the fish and chips and the mixed fish dish with a feast of different types of fish. You can also get shepherd's pie, octopus, cataplanas, salmon, and prawns.
Things to Do in Tavira in May
Every May, Tavira hosts an annual Gastronomy Festival that will impress even the biggest foodies. It's a popular event with the locals and visitors alike. Local restaurants participate and develop special menus that showcase the abundance and variety of locally caught seafood. Tavira and its surrounding parishes of Cabanas, Santa Lucia, Santa Maria, and Santiago invite guests to dine and enjoy your food at a slower pace.
Jardim de Coreto
The Jardim de Coreto in Tavira is the perfect way to spend a warm May afternoon soaking up the Algarve sun. The park sits right on the River Gilao and features a beautiful garden, lots of green trees, and bright red benches to sit, people watch, and enjoy the weather. The gravel paths are great for walking and getting some exercise and you can find shade under the gorgeous white gazebo. Throughout the year, the park plays host to various festivals and parties for you to attend.
Hop on the Delgaturis train and experience a fun way to see the city of Tavira. Exciting for visitors of all ages, the brightly-coloured trains are an easy way to tour the area. The tour takes about 50 minutes and drives you by many of Tavira's most popular churches, historic sites, and attractions. The company offers tours every day, year round and you can purchase tickets on the day at the ticket office or get them online via its website and save 15 percent.
Holiday Weather Blog
Best Places to Go For Winter Sun in December ☀️🏝🤿
December is a great time to escape to sunnier climates in order to avoid the harsh British winter that plagues the UK every year. Tenerife 🇮🇨 Tenerife Weather Lowdown December: Tenerife has always been thought of as the Island of Eternal Spring and this is especially true for the month of December. Whilst much of […]
Most Popular Blogs
Passenger Locator Form-WATCH OUT for your PCR reference !!!
When travelling back to the UK from your trip or holiday you are required to complete a Passenger Locator Form within 48 hours of your departure back to the UK. This is a straightforward form, however where you have to complete your valid PCR Test booking Reference on the form, it has to be letters […]