Averages for Bordeaux in December

As the Christmas and holiday season approaches, December is a popular time to visit Bordeaux. Thanks to its proximity to the Atlantic Ocean, snow is a possibility, which turns the city into a winter wonderland, increasing its charm even more. The warm red wines from the local vineyards don't hurt the overall festive feel either! This part of southwest France sees an average daily temperature of 7°C (about 45°F), still warm enough to get outside and see the sights.

Compared to Novem...

Read more

Daily averages for Bordeaux

Loading weather data. Please wait…

Day 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31
°C 8 8 8 10 9 9 9 9 8 7 7 7 7 6 5 6 6 6 7 7 6 7 6 6 6 5 7 7 8 8 8
°F 46 46 46 50 48 48 48 48 46 45 45 45 45 43 41 43 43 43 45 45 43 45 43 43 43 41 45 45 46 46 46

As the Christmas and holiday season approaches, December is a popular time to visit Bordeaux. Thanks to its proximity to the Atlantic Ocean, snow is a possibility, which turns the city into a winter wonderland, increasing its charm even more. The warm red wines from the local vineyards don't hurt the overall festive feel either! This part of southwest France sees an average daily temperature of 7°C (about 45°F), still warm enough to get outside and see the sights.

Compared to November, the average lows drop almost two degrees this month, down to 4°C (around 39°F), not quite freezing, but getting close. The highs go up to 10°C (about 50°F), so you can plan on spending some time outside during your holiday this month. You'll want to bring along a heavier coat or jacket and hat, gloves, and scarf to stay warm during the coolest parts of the day. The area only gets about two hours of sunlight each day, so once the sun goes down, it cools off quickly. You'll also want long-sleeve shirts, trousers, and sweaters, as well as warm boots or shoes that are good for walking.

The chance of a sunny day is about 15% and the chance of clouds is 47%. Rainfall chances increase again up to 100 mm for the month. That amount falls over 16 days and there is a 51% chance of rain each day, so pack that umbrella or poncho to stay dry and warm. Any precipitation that occurs most likely falls as rain, with only a 2% chance of snow each day. Expect some breezy days with a 17% chance of a windy day. You may also get some fog, with a 41% chance of a fog day.

The highest recorded temperature reached all the way up to 23°C (about 73°F), nearly unheard of for this time of the year. The lowest recorded temperature was a very frigid -9°C (about 15°F), well below freezing and definitely causing issues for the vineyards.

Where to Stay

Once you step into the Logis Au Comte d'Ornon, you'll be greeted by bright colours and the sleek décor. The 38 rooms have air conditioning, satellite television, free Wi-Fi, safe, and espresso machine. Some of the rooms have private terraces and family rooms are available with extra space and beds. High-end amenities include an on-site restaurant and bar, fitness centre, and spa with sauna and hot tub to warm up from the cold December weather.

The Inter Hotel Du Phare has a quiet setting so you can enjoy a peaceful holiday away. Dine in the on-site restaurant that offers local cuisine, a buffet, and of course, Bordeaux wine. Sleep well in the updated and contemporary rooms with comfy duvets, free Wi-Fi, flat-screen televisions, and private bathrooms. You can choose a room with king bed or two twin beds depending on your needs.

At Le Chalet Lyrique, you'll be only 10 minutes from Bordeaux and experience three-star accommodations. You're also close to many of the vineyards that make the area famous. The 44 guest rooms open up to the garden with ancient olive trees. Each room has free Wi-Fi, flat screen television, free private parking, private garages if needed, and breakfast served in your room. The on-site restaurant serves breakfast, lunch, and dinner and the bar is a great place for drinks.

Things to Do

Built to commemorate Charles VIII's victory in Fornovo, Porte Cailhau is an amazing structure that sits near the river in the centre of the city. You can see Charles VIII's likeness in a niche on the river side of the building. It was built in 1494 and the audio tour takes you through the history of the monument. One of the exhibits shows the tools and methods used to build the monument. It's open daily all year-round.              

The Palais Gallien, or Gallien Amphitheatre, is open daily all year-round. While it's in ruins now, back in the day it was the city's amphitheatre, home of gladiators and heroes, and is some of the only remnants of Roman culture left in the city. At one time, the amphitheatre held over 20,000 people and now you can see what's left of the arches and walls. You can see what the amphitheatre used to look like thanks to a 3-D exhibit on the grounds.

Take a tour with Bordeaux River Cruise and get to experience the city from the water. Check out the wine and dine tour with wine tastings and appetizer pairings or opt for the historic tour that explores nearby estuaries. The company offers full dinner and lunch cruises if you want to combine a meal with your sightseeing. You can also choose a night time cruise and get to see the city all lit up with festive December lights.

Eating and Drinking Out

If you just want a good old hamburger, check out Edmond Pure Burger not far from the city centre. The menu includes basics, like a bacon cheeseburger, as well as specialty varieties. You can also get the burger of the day deal that comes with the sandwich and a side. As a side, choose from the frites, salad, or coleslaw. The menu also has several wines, beers, and sodas to help wash down your burger. 

The Breakfast Club provides diners with an excellent breakfast option in Bordeaux. It's also open for lunch to grab a quick and light bite. Here, you can get a proper English breakfast, complete with baked beans and tomato. Its menu includes numerous vegetarian options as well. The restaurant boasts some of the best scones in the area, as well as freshly made desserts like carrot cake and cheesecake.

The Restaurant Melodie is unassuming and simple, but delivers amazing French cuisine in a laid-back atmosphere. Just steps from the Place de Bourse, the establishment has a menu full of French classics. The dining room features stone walls and soft lighting, creating a romantic atmosphere perfect for a date night out in Bordeaux.

Your Holiday Weather Settings

Show temperature in:
Show distance in: